Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Civil Wars

I've been in a bit of a blue funk lately. So, every time I come to write a blog post I write a few sentences then save it as a draft to "come back to later". {Whether I will or not is debatable!}
But today, I stumbled upon a band that made me want to write a post! Which is quite an improvement. :)

I was on some band's myspace, watching one of their videos. When it ended all the related videos came up. The first one showed an image of a woman and a man with a guitar. It looked promising! So, I clicked on it. And it exceeded my expectation.

Turns out, the band is called The Civil Wars and it is composed of Joy Williams and John Paul White. Apparently, this song, 'Falling', was the first song they ever wrote together!




I am inestimably glad that I found this band. They have definitely brightened my day! Their music really strikes a chord with me. {No pun intended. :P}
If you go on their myspace you can download their live album for free! {Something went wrong with my download, though. But thankfully, there was a provided solution.}

How is everyone's summer going? This summer my best friend has been our library. :)

6 comments:

  1. oh I know! e. e. cummings is wonderful! and I always believe that his poems are best when read aloud. and oh, little brothers! what do they know? just kidding, they seem to know alot actually, only sometimes they are slightly misinformed.
    Love, Clara

    PS: would you like to be pen pal's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay! email is fine, my email is dramapixi@acsalaska.net I totally understand what you mean about parents, I didn't actually tell mine until after I'd started writing to a few people. I'm not saying you should do this, I'm just saying mine probably wouldn't have been okay with it if i'd told them. anyway! it sounds great!
    Love, Clara

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend has also been the library, from Walt Whitman to Hirokazu Kore-eda to Glenn Gould. What treasures have you found there?

    Also, I'm downloading the album as we speak. I'm a sucker for free things, especially when it involves the arts.

    As for the song, I like the way that it builds emotionally and dynamically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my word. I just realized something from you mentioning Walt Whitman. I feel extremely stupid but it never occurred to me to look for books of poetry at the library! How idiotic can I get? I've been so desperately wanting to read books of poetry and it never even crossed my mind to me to look at the library. Oh gosh, what is wrong with me??
    *ahem* Anyways, despite my nitwittedness, I have found two new favourite authors; Miss Read & Mary Stewart.
    I have also been re-connecting with some of my childhood favourites, such as "Katie John" and "Paddington Bear".
    And "Jeeves and Wooster" have also been making some appearances. :)

    Me too! I can't resist free, hehe.

    I like that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank Benjamin Franklin. He started America's first libraries. An interesting link about it here: http://www.ushistory.org/Franklin/philadelphia/library.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very interesting! I am eternally grateful to Benjamin Franklin. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)