Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lisa

Get your ears ready folks! Today I am sharing my favourite song of the past couple months, 'Lisa' by The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers.


Quite a band name, non? (From hereinafter, I shall refer to them as "The Prayers and Tears" for brevity's sake.)
According to their myspace, The Prayers and Tears are "an incomprehensible mess of a band, comprised of the various members, benefactors, patron saints, and onlookers of the bu_hanan collective". But as best I can figure out, the root of The Prayers and Tears is Perry Wright.
You can go check out their website if you would like. You can even get some free dowloads there, including the EP that contains the song I am posting today!

'Lisa' is a song they recorded for Esopus Magazine back in 2005. I just happened to come across this song on another blog and I am so glad I did because, well, I love it. I love everything about it... the somber, subdued vocals; the slightly out-of-tune piano; the plaintive violin; the lyrics that make your heart ache... All these things add up to make a pretty special song.

I actually think I downloaded the song before I listened to it. The first time I heard it I was a bit distracted and there were other noises so I couldn't really hear it. But later, in the midnight stillness, I listened to it while lying in bed and was amazed.

The lyrics are definitely one of the highlights for me. I would recommend listening very carefully to them or reading along. {One of the commenters on that lyrics site I just linked, says that he remembers [whoever wrote the song - Perry, presumably] saying the song was about "an adult sending a letter back to his eight year-old self." Whether or not that is true, that is my favourite interpretation of this song.

Listen:

2 comments:

  1. Nothing to do with this post in particular, I've just been following this blog for a while and think I've found an artist you might like. Have you heard of Sophie Hunger? Her live performance on TED had me immediately hooked, so this is the link if you are interested - http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/sophie_hunger_plays_songs_of_secrets_city_lights.html

    Also, have you heard of Emiliana Torrini?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh! I had never heard of Sophie Hunger before! Thanks so much for sharing that link. I am listening now and am absolutely loving it!

    Yes, I have! Emiliana Torrini is great! I was actually listening to one of her songs today and thinking that I need to listen to her more. I posted one of her songs on here once, 'The Boy Who Giggled So Sweet'.

    Thanks again for your comment. I think Sophie Hunger may be a new favourite. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)