Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sleeping At Last

I solemnly swear I will post at least three times in May! April went by freakishly fast. For most of the time, I was legitimately busy... {Imagine that!} Thankfully, this month's artist of the month was a no-brainer for me: Sleeping At Last.



I only discovered their music recently, as in a few weeks ago. I found them by happenstance during one of my rare youtube browsings and by happy coincidence they were offering their 2009 album Storyboards for free on NoiseTrade! {I would just like to say, I was perfectly willing to pay for it on emusic but my account was on hold last month and I got impatient, wanting to listen to them when offline.}

Sleeping at Last is composed of Ryan O'Neal {lead vocals, guitar & piano} and Dan Perdue {bass & keys}. Their music touched me like no band's has in a while. Their lyrics are definitely a highlight; they are poetical often with an underlying spirituality. And on the album Storyboards, at least, many of the songs have beautiful orchestral arrangements. Since stringed instruments speak to my soul, this makes me quite happy.
On another note, this year Sleeping At Last is doing a project entitled "Yearbook" and are releasing a three-song EP for every month of the year which is a pretty spiffy idea, I think!

I haven't yet become as intimately acquainted with the album Storyboards as I would've liked, since I know some favourites don't always become evident til after numerous listens. But this song, 'Slow & Steady' has been a stand-out track for me so far.

Listen:









{Again, I repeat my promise: I will post at least three times in May; I will no longer be such a slacker! ...Not on this blog, at any rate. :P}

7 comments:

  1. Just downloaded their album on Rhapsody and gave it a listen - great recommendation, love it! As an avid music lover myself, I was wondering...how do you acquire all this music without going broke? I use rhapsody and buy what I love on amazon, and just hunt for recommendations everywhere - what do you do?

    Also, have you heard of and do you like-
    Fleet foxes
    the civil wars
    sarah blasko
    wye oak

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased you like it!
    Well, it helps that I have basically no expenses at this time. I probably would go broke otherwise! The only thing competing with my music addiction is my book addiction, since I detest all other shopping. I buy almost all of my music off of emusic.com which has been described as "itunes' cooler, cheaper cousin". While emusic isn't as cheap as it used to be and doesn't always have what I want, I love it so much more than itunes. I pay about $15 on emusic per month and can usually get in three full album downloads - as long as they aren't too long. I like to have physical copies of albums but I would definitely go broke if I did that. :)

    I have not listened to Fleet Foxes as much as I would like. At the moment I'm in love with their song "Helplessness Blues"!
    I love The Civil Wars! Their new album was a little too country for me, but their Poison & Wine EP is the best!
    Sarah Blasko is on my long list of artists whose albums I want to buy! Her music video for 'Planet New Year' makes me laugh out loud.
    I like a couple of Wye Oak songs but their music is too... I don't know how to describe it. Noisy? Reverbation-y? Distorted? I don't really know, haha.

    You're welcome and thank you for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it seems I've finally found someone in the cyber world with musical tastes almost identical to my own. So incredibly rare! When people ask me what music I like, I've gotten used to saying "the kind you've probably never heard of", so your blog is refreshing. Agreed on the book addiction, the walls of my room are lined with bookshelves. Anyways, thanks for letting me know your thoughts on those artists - I find myself agreeing with your opinions on all four. So anytime I stumble across something especially unique, I'll check in here to see if you've found it. Looking forward to the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should I start counting the posts? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie: Oh, how marvelous! Musical kindred spirits are few and far between! I've kind of come to dread it when people ask me what music I like, haha. Your answer basically sums it up.
    And you're a book addict too! Yay! =D
    Please do! I'm always on the look out for new music. :)

    Greg: I'm sure that won't be necessary... *cough cough* O:)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)