Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Agent Ribbons

Ah, finally - an artist of the month whose choosing required no vacillations or hemming and hawing: Agent Ribbons!


I've been listening to them for several months now, but only just recently bought their 2006 album, On Time Travel and Romance. They enchanted me the first time I ever heard them and I've been listening to the album almost nonstop, it's rather addictive!

Agent Ribbons is, for the most part, a duo consisting of Natalie Gordon on lead vocals & guitar and Lauren Hess on drums, but they are sometimes joined by Naomi Cherie who plays the violin.
Everything about this band is superb: their peerless "cabaret garage pop" sound; Natalie Gordon's delectable vocals which sound equally good smooth as they do rough; their lyrics which are each quirky little stories, always clever and often containing a wink of naughtiness. I've been wandering around singing snatches of songs from this album these past few weeks, it's definitely an album that worms its way into your bloodstream. {That's a good thing, by the way.}

My favourite song off On Time Travel and Romance is 'Obituary' which is sung from the perspective of a young bride who dies and searches the obituaries for a man to love in the afterlife. {Which strongly reminds me of the book A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle.}


Listen:






{Sorry if the file host isn't working properly again. I can't figure out whether it's just my computer or what...?}

6 comments:

  1. I haven't been around very much, but your blog is just as lovely as ever! I've never heard of them before, but I'll definitely have a little peek now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you, Athena! I'm happy to 'see' you again. :) You definitely should - they're pretty marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melee, I'm at the other end of the scale, 58 years old, British, male but like you I love exploring and listening to music (and also reading). To be honest I'll listen or read anything as long as it is good (subjective I know). I came across your blog because I had been listening to a lot of 'Sleeping At Last' and the results of a Google search included your blog. A lot of words to get to a big thank you for introducing me to several more brilliant new performers/musicians/bands, especially Neo Venable who is fantastic. Will be going through your past recommendations very carefully looking for more artists to investigate. Like you I use music.com a lot, mainly as a way of finding new artists - I will download an album because I like the cover and a few of the sound bites. Sometimes I am disappointed and other times I find a gem, like 'Sleeping At Last' and for me,'Still Time' (who are a good substitute for 'Counting Crows' not releasing new material.
    Some suggestions for you to look into:
    Jim Moray (especially the tracks 'My Sweet Rose', 'Barbara Allen' and 'Nightvisiting').
    Sweet Billy Pilgrim.
    The Kissaway Trail
    The Tallest Man on Earth
    Johann Johannsson (more in the modern classical genre)
    Don't expect you to like them all, or even any, but worth a listen.
    Regards, Robert
    PS - I can remember Janis Ian the first time round and the effect her songs had on my generation when we were teenagers - 'At Seventeen' especially. Look up Buffy St-Marie and 'Soldier Blue' or Judy Collins and "My Father'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! Thank you so much for the comment! It does me such good to hear from readers such as yourself. You are so much more than welcome. It is extremely gratifying to know my little blog is introducing new artists to others!
    And I'm glad I'm not the only one who will gravitate towards an album because of its cover. ;)
    I recognize a few of your suggestions and will definitely be looking into all of them!

    Janis Ian is such a timeless artist! I hope she goes on influencing many generations to come. :)

    And thank you again - you've made this girl's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure. I am always looking for new music so any other suggestions let me know. Also be interested in what you think - good, bad or indifferent - about my suggestions.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gosh - I don't even know. My whole blog is one big musical recommendation, really! Definitely check out my "artist of the month" and "my favourite albums" tags; that's where some of the best stuff is. :)

    Okay, here are my thoughts:
    Jim Moray - Absolutely loved the songs you suggested! I especially adored the emotion of 'My Sweet Rose'.
    Sweet Billy Pilgrim - An unconventional sound that really captured my attention. (This is a good thing!)
    Kissaway Trail - They have a rougher style than I usually go for, but I actually quite liked it!
    Tallest Man on Earth - I've always been a little put off by his voice, but otherwise his music is pretty good!
    Johann Johnsonn - Very eerie sound! And innovative too. I can't decide whether I like it or whether it just frightens me, hehe.

    Though I've listened sporadically to Judy Collins and Buffy St. Marie over the years, I hadn't heard either of those songs. 'My Father' was touching and 'Soldier Blue' powerful; I really enjoyed both of them.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)