Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Silent O Moyle

"When shall Heav'n, its sweet bell ringing, call my spirit from this stormy world?"


I have been overwhelmed by noise today. Not because it's been particularly noisier than usual, I just am feeling very aware of the sounds around me. (Maybe it has to do with my semi-sleeplessness last night...)
I was so on edge I even started typing words like "quiet" and "silent" into my itunes library search to see what songs would come up.
Méav Ní Mhaolchatha's "Silent O Moyle" came up so I listened to it, remembered how much I loved it, and decided to post it.
The lyrics are based off the legend "Children of Lir". This song is the lament of Lir's daughter, Fionnula, who was turned into a swan by her father's wicked second wife. She is in a 300 year exile on the Straits of Moyle.


Listen:

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. You have good taste in music. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! That is the best compliment anyone can give me. =D

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)