Sunday, October 3, 2010

Nina Nastasia

I am extremely chuffed! It is finally beginning to feel like autumn here. There is a bite in the wind today, and as I sit here typing I feel a slight chill. Now, if only our trees would start turning....

I'm a couple days late with October's artist of the month. But it's someone I think is worth waiting for: Nina Nastasia!


Nina Nastasia is a singer-songwriter of the highest caliber. Her 2006 album On Leaving is one of my favourites. It has a gentle folk sound {most of the songs are just Nina accompanied by guitar and light piano} that has put me to sleep many nights that were otherwise wakeful.
I am fascinated by the piano on this album! It often seems to be doing its own thing, incongruous with the rest of the song... yet it works wonderfully.
And well, I am no good at describing people's vocals... so I will just say I love her vocals and I think they complement her music perfectly.

Nina Nastasia's lyrics are a highlight as well. I feel there are so many untold stories in her songs. Her lyrics offer short glimpses of these interesting tales and characters. I often feel inspired to write when listening to her!

Listen to two favourite songs off of On Leaving:





{Spiffy, non? I finally figured out how to make playlists on divshare!}

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm listening right now and I'm growing ever fonder of her music! As a piano-player myself, usually I am drawn to keyboard acoustics etc, and my gosh, I am so inspired by this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you like it!! I too am a piano-player so I understand that gravitation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wandering piano part in "Treehouse Song" is so otherworldly. Even though it's late at night, when I heard the song, I thought someone was practicing the piano in my house, and we don't even have a piano here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've had to do a couple of double-takes when listening to it as well. It's so great!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)