Thursday, February 3, 2011

Peter and the Wolf

Ah, yes. Tis that time of month again, wot? And the artist of the month for this fine February is Peter and the Wolf.

{Gear picture, no?}

It is a little bit confusing trying to find information on Peter and the Wolf. There is a band called Peter and the Wolf from Texas and another from Liverpool. Not to mention the original, musical composition, Peter and the Wolf. {Which brings back such memories since I used to watch the Disney version when I was a child. I could probably still hum each character's theme!}

Anyhow, the Peter and the Wolf that I am talking about is the one from Liverpool. They are fronted by Marc Sunderland who sings lead, plays quite a few of the instruments and writes many {or possibly all} of the songs. But he gets "a little help from his friends", Hugo Harrison {who plays the double bass} and Donna Dosanjh {who plays the drum and sings back-up}.

I really don't know how to define their music. Folk Rock would probably be the closest I could come. Of course, their debut album, Golden Stars, {released last month} sounds more rock than folk while their 2006 EP Storyteller sounds more folk than rock.
I have only listened a little to their new album but Storyteller I am quite familiar with. In fact, I love it!
Storyteller is an apt name for the EP for each song is, indeed, a story. The lyrics give life to characters and short vignettes that are backed by catchy melodies and an uncluttered production sound. My only complaint is that it is so brief, having only 5 songs and being only about 16 minutes long.


Listen to 'Tommy' {from Storyteller}:

3 comments:

  1. I love your 'Artist of the Month' posts! You are forever introducing me to beautiful artists and creating new loves for the nuances in particular songs etc. Thank you, dear Melee. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE love love this song! Thank you for sharing, it's so lovely to hear good music. So I've given you a blog award :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Athena: Oh, darling - thank you! It does me such good to know you appreciate my little blog here. <3

    alabee: I am absolutely delighted to hear that! You are quite welcome and thank you so much for the blog award!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)