Monday, February 14, 2011

Something or other.

The lovely alabee at Carpenter St. has given me a blog award!

Alright, so I have post seven facts about myself and then pass it on to like 100 million other people which I am not going to do because I'm regrettably lame like that.
But I thought I'd make the seven facts about myself related to music because... I'm awesome like that. ;)


1. I took piano lessons for about 8 years. {I started when I was 7 ½.} When I was around 9 I wanted to stop playing but my mum wouldn't let me. Hands down the best decision she’s ever made for me. ;)
But she encouraged me to stop in my mid-teens when I was no longer enjoying the lessons. And I play the piano more now that I've stopped taking lessons.

2. I love harmony; listening to it, singing it. I just love it. I've been singing in a girl’s ensemble for four years. I used to sing the Soprano part but I switched to Second Soprano and am now much happier and comfortable.

3. I announced in my pre-teen years that I would only listen to Classical music and nothing else. My favourites were Vivaldi, Tchaikovky, and Beethoven. It didn't last long, though. When I was eleven I started listening to artists like Switchfoot and Thousand Foot Krutch. {My favourite TFK song was 'Rawkfist'...? Yeah. I have no idea.}

4. If I had not become obsessed with the Beatles I would not be here blogging today. Why? Because of the Beatles I started listening to other 60’s music and from there I went on to listen to obscure 60’s music and from there - indie music. Voila!

5. I cannot stand really loud music. I have sensitive hearing so I keep my music low thankyouverymuch. {Hopefully this means when I'm old I won't be deaf like the rest of my generation will be... :P}

6. I hate the popular, inane, overproduced sound that passes for music these days. If I have to listen to the radio, I choose the 60's/70's station. Yes, I am a music snob. I am more open than I used to be but there are still a few music genres I can't stand. {e.g. Rap, Southern Gospel, Country... &c.}

7. For a couple of years my two younger brothers and I had a band where I {or younger brother #2} played the piano and we all sang along in high-pitched voices. We recorded three albums in our too short career. Regrettably we broke up… but not before we started a rumour/conspiracy theory that one of our bandmates had died. We hid many clues to this alleged death in our last album. {Hm, I wonder what that’s a parody of?}



Well, that's all for now. Oh, yeah. Happy Valentine's Day and all that. I would embed the music video for my favourite love song right here but blogspot isn't letting me right now {and I am too lazy to upload the file.} But you can go over and watch it on youtube if you want. It's 'Something' by The Beatles. {Quelle surprise. :P}

3 comments:

  1. So the Beatles can be credited for inspiring yet another person. :-) I agree with much of #5 and #6. I'm also partial to being in tune, so that if something is sung wildly out of tune, it hurts my ears. As for overproduced sound, even in classical music, I prefer a gritty live recording to a polished studio one, though that's mainly because studio recordings rarely convey the passion of a live recording, and all conductors tend to be better live.

    Maybe I should write a post about all the great old classical recordings that I've heard (and own), from 78 rpm to early LPs. Don't hold your breath, though: I'm still getting through Ebertfest posts, and then SIFF will be upon me. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That too; in-tune is a must. Esecially when one is surrounded by people who are trying to sing harmony. (Why, yes. I've got a couple choir/musical horror stories! :P)
    I never really thought about classical music having also a different sound live which is rather foolish of me. What is it that makes live recordings more heartfelt, I wonder?

    Well, if you get around to writing it, I would not be adverse to reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that "also having" and not "having also"! Unless, of course, it's "write an awkwardly-formed sentence" day and someone forgot to tell me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)