Thursday, April 5, 2012

Marj Snyder

As the song goes, "April, come she will"... and before I'm quite ready for her. As usual, I deliberated over what artist to make artist of the month, before deciding the only artist I felt like raving over was Marj Snyder.


Marj Snyder... I confess, I don't know much about her. She was a little-known singer-songwriter who released several albums in the 70s. Though few knew of her, those who did were blessed by her music.

The bio for her at last.fm states simply: "Hippy lady from California who loves that God." Ha! It's hard to tell whether or not it was a fan who penned that gem; but yes, Marj was from California and she loved "that God". (Read: she was/is a Christian.)
I can't state positively how many records she released, but I know for sure of two: her 1971 album, A Time of Peace, and her 1972 album, My Lifetime Now. (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Marj was only 17 when A Time of Peace was released.)

I can't remember exactly how or when I came across the music of Marj Snyder. I think it was last summer, when I somehow stumbled across her song, 'God', which is from the album A Time of Peace. Her gentle style and beautiful, thoughtful lyrics grabbed my attention, and the more I listened to the song, the more I grew to appreciate it.
Sadly, except for the song 'God' and another song called 'I Am the Light', I've not heard any more from A Time of Peace. (Ah, the woes of loving obscure music!)

But semi-recently, I was able to find a download of her 1972 album, My Lifetime Now. While it does contain a regrettable foray into country music ('Knees Knocking') and Southern gospel ('For Those Tears I Died') and the inevitable 'Amazing Grace', My Lifetime Now is a fine album. (For the genre complaints, the songs themselves are alright, I'm just not a fan of those two genres.) My Lifetime Now is certainly a million steps above the cookie cutter "Christian music" of today.

I'm posting two songs today; the first is 'Chicago / Walk By My Window' from My Lifetime Now. (Which technically is two songs, but they segue into each other and they were put on the same track in the version I downloaded.) Unlike the rest of the album, they aren't religious. But they are pieces of her life wrapped in the packaging of lovely folk music, much like the second song, which is the aforementioned 'God' (a song of more religious nature, obviously - but definitely worth a listen, even if you're not interested in the spiritual side of life.)




(Supplemental links: Another favourite from My Lifetime Now is the song 'I'm Dying'. I love the pure anguish of this song, which you can listen to here, if you so desire.
Here is the blog I downloaded the song 'God' from and the blog I downloaded the album 'My Lifetime Now' from. Also, one of Marj Snyder's song is on the compilation Wayfaring Strangers: Ladies from the Canyon, which can be bought on amazon.)Link

26 comments:

  1. Wow, this lady managed to crash my spotify and then all the webpages I was on! She's lucky she's a lovely singer!

    I have quite a strange music taste and don't often listen to many of the songs when people post them, as I'm never sure I'll like them and only like a few genres. However I totally trust your music taste so happily (and a bit stressfully!) sat and played these :) Thank you for sharing!

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - oh dear! XD

      Aww, I'm glad you trust my music taste. That means a lot, Nikki! Thank you for listening. :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh ive never heard of this lovely lady either! I shall most certainly give it a listen when i have a free moment <3 Have you heard of Vashiti Bunyen? Im pretty certain you will have done cos you are a cool gal but if not give her a listen!

    I feel absolutely terrible for not replying to your comment on my blog >_< i intended to write you a wordy comment here instead but i have had literally no free time to do anything(ahhhemmm except to eat). Clementine is long song isnt it haha! Honestly it would make me happy just to hear one verse you must be swamped toooo im sure! Are you studying at the minute or are you a worker bee like mee? As sad as it sounds i canot wait to go back into education this september!

    Anywhoo i hope your ok and your lot in life is good and that you are smiling like this a lot- :D :D :D xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly should. :) Yes indeed, I have heard of her! Vashti Bunyan is excellent!

      Aww, don't worry about it! I know you're a busy little bee. At least you're still eating! ;) I am going to make a definite effort to try and record it next week, and I think I can squeeze in more than one verse. ;) I'm kind of a mixture - I'm not in school but I am taking an online class and I also do assorted, sporadic work/volunteering. Really, I'm only busy at the moment because it's production week for a play I'm in. :) I can understand that feeling... I always got that way at the end of summer. So far that feeling has yet to come back during my indefinite break from school, and I'm hoping it doesn't cuz I is edducated enough.

      Oh, Tilly - I do love you! I am certainly smiling like that lots thanks to your comment! I hope you have a fab week. xxxxxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  3. Oh melee you beautiful, brilliant, talented girl you! Your recording was spectacular! You sound like Kate Bush! I'm listening to it now and all i want to do is cry because it's so beautiful and heart wrenching <3 <3 <3 (im not going to lie i did shed a tear when i listened to it first time >_<)

    I LOVE YOU! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK, Tilly! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh, I am just so incredibly pleased and speechless at your reaction. ♥

      I LOVE YOU TOO! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  4. Dave Rose, Powell, WYApril 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

    I found a handful of Christian LPs at a garage sale yesterday. Among them was Marj Snyder's "Let The Son Shine." Great record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, awesome! Congrats on your great find. :D I'm always hoping I'll stumble across something like that.

      Delete
  5. Marj Snyder did a great cover of Bob Dylan's "I Shall be Released" on Her album, Let the Son Shine. The last I heard she was a music instructor and choir director at the Veritas Christian Academy in Oregon. There are videos of her leading her choirs on youtube. She was a great talent that was never really discovered. Tyrone Flanagan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I didn't know about that album! Or any of that other information, so thanks for leaving a comment. :) It's such a shame, isn't it? I'm sure she's touched the lives of so many people, but it would've been wonderful if she'd had the chance to touch more.

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU!! I had that album when I was in Hi School (1970-1975), and have, sadly, lost it- but it never ever left my phsyche! I am looking for it again, especially the DEER song. I am a singer/songwriter, and I have been, so blessedly, influenced by her style///etc. Thanks, Madaline

      Delete
    3. Hello Madaline! I can see why Marj's music would stay with you so long. :) Are you still looking for one of the two albums I mentioned here? I can upload the albums in MP3 form to Google Drive for you to download, if so!

      Delete
  6. May 22, 2014 I just put Marj on a cd for my mother's celebration of
    life service, I knew her in the 1970s she is a lovely young woman who
    was going to school for awhile here in Canada for awhile, and sometimes
    attended the same church as me, I hope some day to reconnect with her
    1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry! You wrote this months ago so you will probably not see this, but I'm both sorry to hear about your mother, but glad she had a wonderful life and people to celebrate it. And that is very cool that you knew Marj Snyder! I hope you can reconnect with her too. A kind anonymous person below me posted a link to her Facebook, which might be of help. :)

      Delete
  7. https://www.facebook.com/marj.snyderhegeman

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was fortunate enough to hear Marj Snyder sing in the church (Peninsula Bible Church) and youth groups I participated in way back when I was in high school. Such a lovely voice! "Lord of Glory" and "Victorious Warrior" is one of the songs that stuck with me from that time. Thank you for the link to Chicago/Walk by my Window/God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops-- are two of the songs...*blushing*

      Delete
    2. Oh, how wonderful! You're very fortunate, indeed. :) You're very welcome and thanks for the comment! (And hehe, I've certainly fallen victim to subject/verb disagreement way too often.)

      Delete
  9. I have vinyl of My Lifetime Now and A Time of Peace. They need a good home and I can ship them. I live in AZ. Are you interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I want to say yes, but at the same time I have managed to get MP3s of both albums, so vinyl would just be icing on the cake. (So to speak, haha.) If you don't want to try and sell them elsewhere to someone else who may be looking for them, then I'll go for it! Whatever you want to do is fine. :)

      Delete
  10. Is your offer of uploading mp3s still on the table? If so, may I request uploading her cover of "I Shall Be Released?" It is such a great cover, but I cannot find it online anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be, except I don't have the album "Let the Son Shine". Sorry about that! I'm scouring the internet for it, but I'm not having much luck either. If I happen to find it, I'll post it for you!

      Delete
  11. If you are still lookfor Marj Snyder here are four albums from her
    http://bkmusic777.blogspot.de/search/?q=marj+snyder

    and here is Linda rich another great similar singer

    http://bkmusic777.blogspot.de/search/?q=linda+rich

    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! Thank you so much for the links! I'm going to download the Marj Snyder albums I don't have, and Linda Rich's as well. I love such artist recommendations like that, thanks!

      Delete
  12. You're welcome
    here' another great singer from those hippie times
    http://bkmusic777.blogspot.de/search/?q=judy+mackenzie

    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marj also sang with Young Life, Jesus House in Daytona Beach, Band Shell in Daytona Beach - was on the program with Love Song.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)