Monday, March 1, 2010

Celtic Woman

Last month I had the privilege of going to a Celtic Woman concert! It was actually the second Celtic Woman concert I {including my mum & sister} have been to, with many thanks and much love to my grandmother who bought the tickets both times.
I have a very special place in my heart for Celtic Woman. The group is composed of four Irish singers and a fiddler. Popularized, I think, through PBS pledge weeks.

Anyhow, I'll never forget the first time I heard Celtic Woman. About four years ago, I was in bed one night, and I got up to investigate some sounds coming from the {pet!} rodents in my room. Then from my parent's room {which is near mine} I heard beautiful singing. And it wasn't just any song. It was my favourite song: 'Somewhere' from the musical, West Side Story. Entranced I followed the sound to my parent's television. I don't really remember seeing Celtic Woman for the first time, but I remember hearing them. Oh my, but it was lovely. After the song ended {I don't remember if I asked my parents who it was or not...} I went back to bed, not knowing my life had been changed. ;)

Soon after, my mum went out and bought Celtic Woman's first CD. I listened to it. Again and again. I was hooked!
Until then, I had firmly believed that most females couldn't sing. {Who can blame me really? Have you ever listened to the radio??} But these talented girls could sing like I had never heard anyone sing before. I loved them all. I bought {or was given} all the member's solo albums, I watched the DVD's, I got all my friends addicted too!

In early 2007 I got to see them {the original five!} live for the first time! I thought it was a once in a lifetime experience. I am happy to be proved wrong though. :)
Though the line-up has changed a bit, I still love them just as much. And the show I recently attended I think I enjoyed more than the first time.

Here's a video of them singing 'Somewhere'... the song that started it all for me. :)




{I didn't mean for this post to be so long! Once I got started I had a little trouble stopping!}

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen some of my posts? ;-) Trust me, this wasn't long at all.

    Maybe you and my uncle should compare notes; he goes to every Celtic Woman concert that he can.

    Also, beautiful harmonies, but I prefer the original version of this song. There's just something about strings, and a man and a woman blending their voices together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, well, it was long for me!

    Your uncle has good tatste!! ;)

    I still prefer the original too. That is, the version sung in the movie. {Since the original Broadway version was just sung by one person.}
    Let's just say West Side Story was one of my "passions" a few years ago.
    {Passion is not as bad as obsession, right? :P}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad movie to be passionate about. And yes, the connotation for "passion" is better than it is for "obsession." ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)