Friday, February 26, 2010

Rockwell's Blues

The first and foremost artist gracing my musical listenings, as of late, has been Sylvie Lewis. {Hm, sorry. I've been in the Jane Austen era all afternoon. Apparently the way I speak has been greatly affected. And I suspect it is for the worst...}
*ahem* Yes, well... back to Sylvie Lewis!



When I first heard Sylvie's music I fell in love with everything about it: her vocals, her frequently clever/humorous lyrics, and her cabaret-jazzy feel.

Apparently, Sylvie, at one point, quit music and became a teacher. But a couple years later she was reading a newspaper survey of the worst paid jobs in the U.S. It said the first was "Singer/Songwriter" and the second was "Teacher". She then decided not to settle for second best, and became a musician again. And I am so glad she did!!! ;)


Listen to her song 'Rockwell's Blues' off her first album Tangos and Tantrums:



{And yes, the "Rockwell" mentioned in the title and the lyrics is, indeed, the fabulous Norman Rockwell. How cool is that?}

4 comments:

  1. Which Jane Austen book were you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I'm in a Jane Austen play: "Emma".
    Which is also my favourite book by her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get kudos from me for liking Emma over Pride and Prejudice, even though I've only seen the movie version of the former (I tend to really like movies based on Jane Austen novels, but have only seen versions of the novels I haven't read).

    I would highly recommend Persuasion to you if you haven't read it already. It's the last book that Austen wrote, and the climactic scene is just marvelous.

    Also, I like the song. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, cool! Why? Do you like Emma better? {As far as heroes go, in my opinion, Mr. Knightley trumps Mr. Darcy!}
    We love Jane Austen movies at our house! We went through a period where that was all we watched, it seemed.

    I love Persuasion! I read the book a few years ago, and I was watching the movie again the other month {the 1995 version} and I remembered, "Hey! I really like this movie!" :)

    Glad to hear it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)