Monday, May 10, 2010

Holiday in Rhode Island

Next for my favourite albums, is Holiday in Rhode Island by The Softies.


A family member or two laughed at their band name, "The Softies". That was only because they had not heard their music. Once you hear their music you never question why they would call themselves the "Softies". ;)

I got this album for Christmas last year. I was given it by my paternal grandparents when we were visiting their house. I didn't have my computer with me so I borrowed my littler brother's CD player. I went downstairs and lay across my sister and I's temporary bed and I listened to the album for the first time while reading the lyrics in the album insert. {By the way, I LOVE it when artists put their lyrics in their liner notes.}
And so that is always the memory I associate with this album, lying across the bed in my grandparent's basement, reading the lyrics, listening to the whole thing for the first time.

The Softies are two girls {Rose Melberg and Jen Sbragia} accompanied mostly by just their guitars. They write sad, sweet songs about love & heartache... mainly heartache.
One thing I love most about them is their harmonies. One of my favourite things to do is to play Holiday in Rhode Island out loud (whether on CD or my ipod) and sing along. I have trouble making up my mind whether I want to sing the melody or the harmony so I sing an odd mixture of both. :)

I also had trouble just picking one song. I went back in forth between so many combinations... oi! Finally I decided on these two...

'Sleep Away Your Troubles':


'Just a Day':



And I had a lovely birthday! I feel so much different now that I am 17!
*cough*
;)

8 comments:

  1. Melee my lovely, have you heard of Emily L'Oizeau? She is beautiful and surtout, she sings in French! :) What more could we ask for? if you haven't do please check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiOMjzNUPvs first, it's what got me obsessed with her. if you don't like the music, the video itself is just exquisite. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes!! I've heard of her! I only know (and love) one song of hers: "Je suis jalouse".
    Such a lovely video and song!! Thanks so much for telling me about it, I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise! {With so many artists I listen to its hard to follow up on all they do, hehe!} I'm thinking I should definitely listen to her more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I like the lyrics to both songs, too. Very mellow and, well, soft. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha oh yes, Je suis Jalouse is my second favourite! :) And oh, trust you to have heard of her already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Literary Dreamer - Yup! That basically sums it up right there. :)

    Sarah - Hehe, well... I do get around! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!!!!!!!!!! I'm from Argentina and i think this cd is not available here, and i really need to hear MY EMPTY ARMS! can you help me? pleaseeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, hello! I'd be glad to help. :) If you click on this link it should lead you to where you can listen to it: http://www.divshare.com/download/24188429-aa1

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)