Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Azure Ray

I have returned from vacation! Actually, I returned a couple of days ago but things have been surprisingly busy. I had a wonderful vacation, though. :)

August snuck up on me. I can barely keep track of what day of the week it is, let alone what month it is. So, I was unprepared when the first of the month hit. I had no idea who to make the artist of the month. It's not like I don't have scores of candidates, because I definitely do. It's the choosing that always gets me. I politely debated with myself for awhile, trying to decide between various artists - some new, some who I have posted about before... Et finalement, I chose Azure Ray.

I recently bought their EP, November, after hearing the opening and title track, 'November'.
I have a thing for sad songs, which my family often teases me about, and this song was so marvelously melancholic; I fell in love with it, so to speak.
Apparently, Azure Ray is known for their dreamily slow, soft, and mostly sad songs. Though 'November' remains my favourite, I'd say the rest of the EP lives up to that lovely standard as well. :)
And, I just found out, that Azure Ray {Which is Orenda Fink and Maria Taylor - both excellent artists in their own right} is releasing a new album this September! Which is very exciting because they disbanded in 2004. {Needless to say, they are back together, if only temporarily.}


Listen to 'November':

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful song! I should start writing these band names down.

    I also love melancholic songs (sad songs, too, but I like melancholic songs more), which may be why I LOVE cellos.

    Anyway, here's another dose of melancholy that you might enjoy, from a Korean singer, singing in Japanese, who is more famous in Japan than in her home country: BoA: Everlasting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh dear, that really is beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really thought about there being much difference between a sad song and a melancholic song... but now that I think about it, I guess there is! I absolutely love cellos too! I've been going out of my way lately to try to find musicians who use them.
    I liked the song! It was kind of melodramatically melancholy, heh. I also really liked the video setting. :)

    Sarah - I'm so glad you liked it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melee, my love, are you alright? I was slightly concerned about your latest blogpost; obviously I don't know what it is about or what has recently happened to you and probably shouldn't interfere, but I was just checking to see that you and your dear heart are unbruised; and if they are slightly tender, that they are recovering.

    And never, never feel insecure or worthless Melee - I know how hard it is, I constantly feel in the shadow of a certain person in my life who always eclipses me, like a firefly drowning in the light - but I do truly feel you have been gifted, not only with exterior talent but with one of the most loving, bright souls I have ever encountered, you are such a delight and such a kindred spirit to me and I do love you very, very much. <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)