Thursday, December 16, 2010

Riu Chiu

In case you haven't noticed, I don't listen to much Christmas music. Not voluntarily, at least. Between the girl's ensemble I sing in, the radios that play in stores and my piano playing of various carols {and Charlie Brown Christmas songs!}, I don't feel much need to listen to Christmas music on my own time. One of the few exceptions is 'Riu Chiu' by The Monkees.


Surely The Monkees need no introduction. Or perhaps they do since I seem to be living in the wrong generation. Just look them up or ask your parents if you don't know who they are... OR if you're one of those people who think they were just Beatle rip-offs who couldn't even sing.

'Riu Chiu' is an old Spanish carol that dates from around the 16th century or earlier. {A translation for the lyrics can be found here.} The Monkees performed this song at the end of Episode 15 in Season 2, "The Christmas Show". They sing it a capella and in harmony with Micky taking most of the solos.
I heard a different version of this song in a friend's car the other day. It was by one of those artists-of-whom-we-do-not-speak and its overproduced sound made me long for this beautiful, and entirely too short version. Definitely one of my absolute favourite Christmas songs.

Listen:



Well, this is my last song for my week of posting {week = 7 days, not Friday to Friday}. This will probably be my last post for December, too. So, Merry Christmas everyone!!

{P.S. - It snowed. No Library for me. :(
But don't worry, I'll get over it. ;)}

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I have really loved your blog this last year.
    I always find new artists here to listen to!
    I love your fresh and innovative way of writing.
    Thank you so much for all the tremendous work you do here.
    It's a breath of fresh air!
    Have a lovely Christmas and I look forward to a musical journey with you in 2011 :))
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: Oh, thank you so much! I am truly pleased that you appreciate my little blog so much. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. See you next year! :)

    Jazzy E: Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)