Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Stranger on the Shore

Well, I promised I'd do something different in light of the fact last post was #100 and well, who could get more different than this singer?




Oh, look... it's me!

Though I thought a picture of me with a musical instrument would be appropriate, this photo is rather a joke since my guitar skills are abysmal. The picture was taken Summer 2010 when I had resolved to learn to play the guitar since I was becoming frustrated with songwriting on the piano. I soon discovered that the guitar really wasn't a better medium and the piano was truly my forte. (Ha! Ha! Little musical pun for you there.)

First, allow me a little backstory: Years ago, while in my grandparent's basement, I ran across an old piano book of my uncle's. In this book was the sheet music for a song called 'Stranger on the Shore'. I had never heard the song before, but as soon as I played it, I knew it would be a favourite.

'Stranger on the Shore' was written by Mr. Acker Bilk and recorded by him as an instrumental piece in 1961. Actually, before Acker Bilk released it as a single, the song was originally named 'Jenny'. Its title was changed after it was used as the theme song for a series called, what? Yup! Stranger on the Shore. (Also, amazingly enough, as a predecessor to the British Invasion, it was the first British song to top the US charts!)
Here's the thing, though: I've always thought the song's lyrics were more suited to be sung from a girl's perspective; but, I swear, I have not heard a version that was not instrumental or sung by a male. On top of that, the song seems to be little more than completely forgotten.

Today I am here to change that; I am posting a recording of myself singing 'Stranger on the Shore'.

This recording of the song was done this past January, and since there are many things wrong with it, I would love to re-record it except I can't for the recorder on my computer is broken. So I can only apologize for what is wrong with it and move on. Firstly, my piano playing on this song is quite atrocious. The sheet music is simple so I embellish the left hand while playing and apparently, doing that while singing crosses over the line into multi-tasking mayhem.
Secondly, my voice... is not exactly great. The song is not in my best key. Also, we have a love-hate relationship, my voice and I; but this is not the time or place to go into that. The recording quality isn't great either. But still, I hope you can hear at least a little how beautiful this song is. I really love it and, despite my shortcomings, love playing and singing it. My version doesn't do the song proper justice, but at least it's not instrumental and at least I'm a girl!

Listen:
(The lyrics are included underneath, as you can see.)



Here I stand
Watching the tide go out
So all alone and blue
Just dreaming dreams of you

I watched your ship
As it sailed out to sea
Taking all my dreams
And taking all of me

The sighing of waves
The wailing of the wind
The tears in my eyes burn
Pleading, "My love return."

Why, oh why
Must I go on like this?
Shall I just be a lonely
Stranger on the shore?


Well, there you have it: my 101st post. I hope it's not too horrible. I debated with myself a while about whether to post this or not. Guess which I chose...!


(Supplemental link, for anyone interested: if you want to hear me sing a song I composed myself click this link: 'Dangling my Legs Off the Moon'.)

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea to record your own original version. I think it does seem more fitting to be sung by a girl. Lovely, lovely! You have a passionate and sweet sounding voice; I was just wondering the other day if you'd post more of your singing after I remembered "Dangling my Legs Off the Moon." This picture is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jade - your sweet comment made me smile. And it makes me really happy that you were wondering about that; it's good to be thought of, I guess. Hehe. :)
    I'm hoping to soon find a solution to the fact my recording-thingy is broken because I've been writing songs but have been unable to do anything with them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melee, Melee. This made me want to cry. And you can't say things like 'my voice is not exactly great' because that's just nonsense. This is beautiful, beauitufl. So clear. You are the best thing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minna! Your comment made me want to cry! (Happy tears! In case that wasn't clear, hehe.) I don't think I could convey how grateful I am for your words (and just you in general!). You are ever so wonderful.
    *sigh* Yes, I'm afraid I suffer from the typical being so used to hearing what my singing voice sounds like to me (which I quite like) so that whenever I hear it recorded I think, "Oh. Well. That sounded so much better in my head..." I'm trying to be better about that. You've certainly raised my morale. :) Thank you, thank you. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh Melee i have no words for this! It was beyond beautiful <3 <3 Your piano playing was glorious, how long have you been playing?

    Record more! Lots more! I beg of you! If you ever have a free moment please, please record a version of 'Clementine' It's one of my absolute forever favourite songs (although it is extraordinally sad) and you singing it would be so very magical! xxxxxx much love to you and sweet little finger :( i hope it recovers! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, Tilly - thank you very much for your fangreatastic comment! ♥ I've been playing for about 10 years. (Props to my mother for not letting me quit lessons when I had only been taking for a couple years!)

    I don't think I know that song, but I would love to do that for you! Who is it by? I adore sad songs. And it made my day (er, night) that you requested me to sing a song you love. :) My finger and I both thank you for your well-wishes. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)