Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Boys On Their Birthdays

My third favourite song of 2009 is "Boys On Their Birthdays" by Slow Club.


This is a hidden track on Slow Club's debut album Yeah So. At the end of the last album track, 'Our Most Brilliant Friends', there's a minute or so of silence. Various sounds then start playing in the background, including someone playing the top of empty wine glasses! The guitar comes in and then the song starts. For a while, until I did some simple research, I had no idea what the song was called, all I knew was I loved it a lot.
I love 'Our Most Brilliant Friends' too and would have posted it along with its hidden track... but I decided to edit it cause it's 10:00 minutes long altogether which isn't always the most pleasant things to sit through. ;)

Rebecca {the female half of Slow Club} says: "The song is about one very unfortunate week. But in the same week some wonderful things happened. I met some people I wish I hadn't, and some that have changed the way I think about things since. I also did some hardcore dancing and was in terrible pain afterwards because playing the drums stood up has ruined my shins."
Which would explain the rather odd lyrics at the end "...the bones inside my shins are crumbling... it's from all the crunking I've been doing." Haha!

Listen:



Though I'm still not quite sure why it's called 'Boys On Their Birthdays'... Ah well, song titles don't always have to make sense. :)

3 comments:

  1. enchanting.
    i feel like it's something so magical i cannot even begin to describe!
    thank you for your wonderful comment, lovely.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe because she met this boy at a club, and boys go to clubs on their birthdays. Maybe. Not that it matters, as you say. It's all about the "enchanting" sounds (to borrow from Athena's comment) that are bouncing against our eardrums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, maybe!
    It's true, it doesn't really matter. But Slow Club's song titles usually make sense so when they don't... it kinds makes you wonder...
    But with artists like Woodpigeon I expect it to make no sense. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)