Friday, January 22, 2010

Ooh, We Need Jesus

'Ooh, We Need Jesus' by Sara Beth Geoghegan is my fourth favourite song of '09.


I don't listen to much Christian music because, well... I don't really like most of it {unless it's from the 70's, heh}. I think I just don't like the style of most contemporary Christian artists... *shudders*
But, I read about Sara Beth Geoghegan one day and decided {after listening to a few samples} to buy her album, Tired of Singing Sad Songs.
I listened to it a few times, decided I kind of liked it, and went on in life. But then I kept listening and I realized what a great album it was.
Sara Beth made the album after going through a hard time in her life. Which is why, I think, it is such a strong album. Her melodies and voice are beautiful, but her lyrics are my favourite part.
On 'Ooh, We Need Jesus', it's not all "happy! happy! - Jesuslovesmethisiknow"!
No... she shows she's human with honest lyrics such as "At my very best I'm a hypocrite and I need Your love when I hate everyone." Which is something I can totally relate to.
And though somedays I try to delude myself, I do, indeed, need Jesus.

Listen:


I noticed after many listens of Tired of Singing Sad Songs that most of her lyrics don't have rhymes. I am a total rhyme freak... but now I've realized: it doesn't have to rhyme to be good. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Melancholy is such a wonderful emotion in songs and poetry, though--instead of Jesus--I think all we need is love. ;-) Or maybe all we need is songs as haunting as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is lovely. And I do agree with you, Christian music is great when you're caught up in the euphoria of it, but when you're just taking it for music, a lot of it is quite mainstream-pop-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, melancholy is beautiful. I think we all need love... as well as Jesus. But I know many do not share my opinion. :)

    That hits the nail on the head, Sarah! There is such a fine line between pop and Christian music...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for your comment on my blog :)
    I just get into grumpy moods, and I needed to cheer myself up :D
    Do you still have your 'Dear Ferrisente' blog?
    I wasn't sure cause I didn't see it in your blog list?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, writing is great to get bad feelings out.
    I think that sounds like a great idea!
    My favourite type of blog is where people post their thoughts.
    So you'll definately have me as a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)