Saturday, November 14, 2009

Les Parapluies de Cherbourg

"Why is absence so heavy to bear? Why is Guy fading away from me? I would have died for him. Why aren't I dead...?"


Because of our mutual love for it, my new friend, Sarah, suggested I do a post about "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg". And since it's a musical I think that works perfectly!

When most people hear the premise of "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" they instantly assume the worst about it. {"I mean, come on! It's a film that's all in French? And every, single word is SUNG?!?! Sounds kind of stupid..."}
Ah, but they have never heard Legrand's moving score, seen Demy's brilliant colours, or watched the heart-wrenching story.

Undoubtedly, one of the best parts of the movie is the main, musical theme. (Mainly known as "I Will Wait for You".)




This song is absolute perfection. It doesn't need words. The melody speaks for itself.

It's a film you do not want to miss. I am no good at summing up stories, so just go watch it if you already haven't.

...and don't blame me if after you watch it you feel the need to sing, in French, everything you say for the rest of the day! :)


(The scene where Guy is leaving is my favourite. Because it's so... sad...)

"Mon amour...."


"Je t'aime, je t'aime!"

Again, watch it if you haven't. I think I'm going to go watch it now. *blissful sigh*


{By the way, I turned the video into an mp3! Click here to dowload.}

7 comments:

  1. A fellow Francophile! Ever since I saw a poster of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, I've wondered what that movie was about. And French is such a beautiful language that, even if the story were awful, a whole movie sung in French sounds like a great way to spend a rainy afternoon, especially if you have someone special to watch it with (of course, that goes for most French films). :-)

    Thanks for the clip, too. Beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh ohhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    *swoons*

    I can hear the beautiful soundtrack playing in my mind. I love you even more for writing this post, Melee! The pictures were so aptly chosen. Ahhh it's so melancholy and lyrical and tragic. I just love it! :)



    Sarah
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, indeed! French is a beautiful language. As I have said before, In French, the simplest sentence sounds like a proclamation of love!
    And I do hope someday to have a special someone with whom I can watch these types of movies. :)


    So glad to hear it, Sarah!! I popped the DVD into my computer and was trying to take screenshots but my print screen button stopped working! I was so upset cause I had certain pictures in mind I wanted. But, I discovered a program that let me do what I wanted. Slowly, but surely.
    I'm rambling a bit, sorry. =D But thank you for the inspiration to do this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great movie,
    I'm going to have to watch it sometime -
    I love french movies :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw the movie. What a great and moving film! So glad they were able to restore it to its original glory, with a remastered soundtrack. Thanks for the recommendation.

    And that scene at the station where the train leaves and Catherine Deneuve's character gets smaller and smaller as the train moves farther and farther away...surely one of the great shots in all of cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked it!!

    Oh, yes indeed! It's so wonderful...
    I really want to watch it now! But I'm pretty sure we lent it to my uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, tell him to give it back! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments!
... but they're not mandatory. :)